> Job Listings
> Job Description
The Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) is currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Psychologist at Georgia Regional Hospital - Atlanta, located in Decatur, GA.
Diagnose or evaluate behavioral, emotional and cognitive disorders through observation, interview, and psychological tests. Applies theory relating to behavior and mental processes to formulate and administer programs of treatment that may include counseling, therapy and research. Helps clients work toward the maintenance and enhancement of physical, intellectual, emotional, social and interpersonal functioning.
Job Responsibilities & Performance Standards:
- Consults reference material such as textbooks, manuals, and journals in order to identify symptoms, to make diagnoses, and to develop approaches to treatment
- Counsels individuals and groups regarding problems such as stress, substance abuse, and family situations, in order to modify behavior and/or to improve personal, social, and vocational adjustment
- Develops and implements individual treatment plans, specifying type, frequency, intensity, and duration of therapy
- Discusses the treatment of problems with clients
- Evaluates the effectiveness of counseling or treatments, and the accuracy and completeness of diagnoses, then modify plans and diagnoses as necessary
- Identifies psychological, emotional, or behavioral issues, and diagnose disorders, using information obtained from interviews, tests, records, and reference materials
- Interacts with clients to assist them in gaining insight, defining goals, and planning action to achieve effective personal, social, educational, and vocational development and adjustment
- Observes individuals at play, in group interactions, or in other contexts to detect indications of mental deficiency, abnormal behavior, or maladjustment
- Obtains and studies medical, psychological, social, and family histories, by interviewing individuals, couples, or families, and by reviewing records
- Provides occupational, educational, and other information to individuals so that they can make educational and vocational plans
Sample Technical Competencies:
- Knowledge of the standards, practices, and methods in applied experimental, clinical, counseling, educational, measurement, or social psychology
- Knowledge of current developments and trends in the field of psychology
- Knowledge of psychological tests, tools, and techniques
- Ability to administer, score, and interpret psychological tests
- Ability to interpret statistical measures, to prepare statistical charts and graphs, and write clear, concise reports
A current Georgia license to practice psychology (license may be temporary, provisional, or permanent)
. Full and active Georgia License to practice psychology
. Experience serving psychiatric inpatients and/or people with severe mental illness
. Experience using applied behavior analysis or related learning principles for intervention
. Experience conducting cognitive and personality assessments
In addition to a competitive salary (), we offer a generous benefits package that includes a flexible schedule, training opportunities, employee retirement plan, deferred compensation, 12 paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, dental, vision, long term care, and life insurance.
This position is a pay grade 19 on the statewide salary plan.
This position is located at Georgia Regional Hospital of Atlanta in Atlanta (Decatur), Georgia.
A sprawling metropolis of over four million people today, metro Atlanta has the vibrancy of the world’s great urban centers combined with the Southern charm of small town centers such as Roswell and Decatur. Here you’ll find historic sites from the Civil War through the Civil Rights era, as well as world-class shopping, entertainment, and nightlife.
Come to Georgia's capital city and experience first-hand our historic charm and hospitality.
Please email your cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word format to: Clinicalrecruiting@dbhdd.ga.gov
To ensure proper routing/handling of your credentials, copy/paste or type the following title in the subject line of your email: Psychologist AMH If you are currently employed by DBHDD, please include "Internal Employee" in the subject line as well.
You may be subject to a Drug Screen. You may be required to submit fingerprints to check for the existence of Criminal History Record Information through the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. You do have the right to challenge the contents of any Criminal History that is located, should you choose to do so.
The Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities provides services to ensure the health and welfare of Georgians. As an employee of DBHDD, in the event of an identified emergency you may be required, as a term and condition of employment, to assist in meeting the emergency responsibilities of the department.