> Job Listings
> Job Description
The Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities (DBHDD) is currently seeking candidates for the position of Activity at Georgia Regional Hospital - Atlanta, located in Decatur, GA.
Plan, direct, or coordinate therapeutic recreation programs. Activities include sports, gardening, dramatics, music, social activities, and arts and crafts. Conducts assessment of a client's condition and recommend appropriate recreational activity.
· Job Responsibilities & Performance Standards:
· Conducts therapy sessions to improve clients' mental and physical well-being
· Confers with members of treatment team to plan and evaluate therapy programs
· Develops treatment plan to meet needs of client, based on needs assessment, client interests and objectives of therapy
· Encourages clients with special needs and circumstances to acquire new skills and get involved in health-promoting life skills and leisure activities, such as sports, games, music, arts and crafts, and gardening
· Instructs client in activities and techniques, such as sports, gardening, dance, music, art or relaxation techniques, designed to meet their specific physical or psychological needs
· Observes, analyzes, and records clients' participation, reactions, and progress during treatment sessions, modifying treatment programs as needed
· Obtains information from medical records, medical staff, family members and the clients themselves to assess clients' capabilities, needs and interests
· Plans, organizes, directs and participates in treatment programs and activities to facilitate clients' rehabilitation, help them integrate into the community and prevent further medical problems
· Prepares and submits reports and charts to treatment team to reflect clients' reactions and evidence of progress or regression
Sample Technical Competencies:
· Knowledge of the DSM-IV assessment of different psychological disorders
· Knowledge of exercise programs such as yoga, aerobics, walking for wellness, and relaxation techniques
· Ability to utilize the results of the recreation therapy assessment tool to document and interpret the progress/regression of a client
· Ability to plan, develop and structure program activities according to policies and procedures and consumer's needs
· Ability to confer with treatment team and counselors for group scheduling, staffing, and program planning
Hours 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. - Rotating weekends, rotating evenings.
2 Open Positions
Bachelors Degree in a therapeutic recreation or related therapeutic discipline Note: Some positions may require registration in the area of assignment.
- CTRS (Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist)
- 1 year experience in adult mental health / hospital setting
In addition to a competitive salary (), we offer a generous benefits package that includes a flexible schedule, training opportunities, employee retirement plan, deferred compensation, 12 paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, dental, vision, long term care, and life insurance.
This position is a pay grade 12 on the statewide salary plan.
This position is located at Georgia Regional Hospital of Atlanta in Atlanta (Decatur), Georgia.
A sprawling metropolis of over four million people today, metro Atlanta has the vibrancy of the world’s great urban centers combined with the Southern charm of small town centers such as Roswell and Decatur. Here you’ll find historic sites from the Civil War through the Civil Rights era, as well as world-class shopping, entertainment, and nightlife.
Come to Georgia's capital city and experience first-hand our historic charm and hospitality.
Applying for this position requires two (2) steps. Please be sure to complete both steps in order to be considered.
- Click on the long link below, complete the summary information form and submit.
- Email your resume and cover letter to the email address listed below.
Please email your cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word format to: email@example.com
To ensure proper routing/handling of your credentials, copy/paste or type the following title in the subject line of your email: Activity Therapist If you are currently employed by DBHDD, please include "Internal Employee" in the subject line as well.
You may be subject to a Drug Screen. You may be required to submit fingerprints to check for the existence of Criminal History Record Information through the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. You do have the right to challenge the contents of any Criminal History that is located, should you choose to do so.
The Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities provides services to ensure the health and welfare of Georgians. As an employee of DBHDD, in the event of an identified emergency you may be required, as a term and condition of employment, to assist in meeting the emergency responsibilities of the department.