> Job Listings
> Job Description
Steam Plant Operator - Rome, GA
THIS POSITION IS LOCATED AT THE NORTHWEST REGIONAL HOSPITAL FACILITY IN ROME, GEORGIA AND IS ROTATING SHIFTS (SWING SHIFT)
This position is in the maintenance department and is responsible for operations and maintenance of gas fired, as well as electrode, boilers and other associated auxiliary equipment. The position requires periodic inspections of the boilers and monitoring the waste water facility, as well as laboratory analysis of water samples for the boilers and waste water to ensure safe and efficient operations
Job Responsibilities include:
- Operate high pressure boilers, including starting and shutting down
- Monitor boiler operations and react to varying load requirements
- Perform constant visual checks, read gauges, and manipulate controls
- Assure that various meter readings of pressure and temperature are recorded
- Inspect boiler pipes, valves, pumps and safety devices for leaks and malfunctions
- Periodically inspect and adjust control mechanisms
- Blow down boiler when conductive solids and impurities exceed specified limits; test high and low pressure safety controls
- Schedule and execute cleaning of equipment and work areas
- Supervise and assist in minor equipment repairs
- May supervise daily maintenance on fans, motors, and other operating mechanisms
- Observe fire and safety precautions
- May be responsible for chemical makeup of water, testing of water qualities
- May order gas and oil deliveries
- Prepare and maintain records on treatment, gas chemicals consumption, and steam and hot water production
- Cooperate and with with State and other inspectors as required
- May perform general maintenance duties requiring skills in plumbing, painting or mechanical trades
- May investigate and take care corrective action for emergency repairs
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Perform security rounds
- Shift reports
Three years of experience in building repairs and maintenance or in the specific area of assignment
Two years of experience at the lower level or position equivalent
Note: Some positions may require area specific certifications/licenses
Preference will be given to those candidates who, in addition to meeting the qualifications listed above, also possess the following:
- High school and vocational school graduation or equivalent
- One year of experience in work related to the operation of high or low pressure boilers, or requiring heating, mechanical or plumbing skills
- Basic math and mechanical aptitude
- Knowledge and ability to operate and maintain high pressure boilers
- Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform duties and responsibilities of this job, including heavy lifting
- Must have a minimum of basic boiler operations
- Knowledge of boiler operations
- Have an understanding of, and comply with, plant safety rules and requirements that include proper Machine Guarding safety, Lock Out/Tag Out procedures, Hazard Communication, Fork-lift safety, Personal Protection equipment, Confined Space Entry, etc.
- Ability to perform periodic inspections and record data as assigned per shift
- Ability to make necessary adjustments to equipment to ensure proper operating procedures
- Ability to maintain accurate and legible log of daily activities
- May be required to troubleshoot equipment and make repairs to PVC piping, pumps, boilers, air compressors, etc.
- Required to perform preventative maintenance on air compressors, boilers, pumps, blowers, etc.
- Must be proficient in troubleshooting the waste water treatment system, the steam system, PMing of equipment and repairs to PVC piping, pumps, boilers, air compressors, etc.
- Any other duties as assigned
In addition to a competitive salary (), we offer a generous benefits package that includes a flexible schedule, training opportunities, employee retirement plan, deferred compensation, 12 paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, dental, vision, long term care, and life insurance.
This position is a pay grade 11 on the statewide salary plan.
Please email your cover letter and resume in Microsoft Word format to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To ensure proper routing/handling of your credentials, copy/paste or type the following title in the subject line of your email: Steam Plant Operator - Rome, GA If you are currently employed by DBHDD, please include "Internal Employee" in the subject line as well.
You may be subject to a Drug Screen. You may be required to submit fingerprints to check for the existence of Criminal History Record Information through the Georgia Bureau of Investigation and the Federal Bureau of Investigation. You do have the right to challenge the contents of any Criminal History that is located, should you choose to do so.
The Georgia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Disabilities provides services to ensure the health and welfare of Georgians. As an employee of DBHDD, in the event of an identified emergency you may be required, as a term and condition of employment, to assist in meeting the emergency responsibilities of the department.